Sunday, March 20, 2011

Is it reckless to take six months off?

Problems at work? Need advice? Our agony uncle ? and you, the readers ? have the answers

I've been entrusted with a secret I don't think I should keep

My boss has been ousted from the technology company where we both work.

His position is not being filled immediately and most of the team that used to work for him (of which I am one) feel very bitter and angry towards the managing director, who is now our direct report. I've established a good working relationship with him that predates my boss's departure, but I'm the only one in our team to do so. Disconcertingly, though, I am being seen by my ex-boss and my colleagues as a traitor while I'm just trying to keep on doing my job.

A colleague and friend has told me in confidence that she and the ex-boss are setting up a competing company. I feel I need to tell my new boss about this information since it will directly impact the business, but I also feel I would be betraying a friend. What should I do?

Jeremy says

Your friend has done something that, on the face of it, seems extremely odd. Since she's planning to start a business with him she's clearly close to your former boss. He sees you as a traitor. Yet your friend has entrusted you, in confidence, with some highly sensitive information. You don't have to be Hercule Poirot to draw one of two conclusions. Either they don't see you as a traitor ? or they do see you as a traitor and have given you this information in the confident expectation that you'll pass it on. If the latter, I've no idea what their motives could be.

In either case, your course of action is clear. That information was passed to you in confidence and you must have accepted it as such. Even if there was no suspicion of some sort of plot you should honour that commitment. I imagine your managing director must have at least contemplated the possibility of his ousted and aggrieved manager starting up in competition ? so you won't be denying him intelligence of any real value.

I've left the more difficult question until last. Your colleagues' continuing loyalty to your former boss is making life extremely disagreeable for you. Whether your managing director was just or unjust in firing your manager is now irrelevant, and your colleagues need to come to terms with that uncomfortable fact. To take it out on you, simply because you already had a good working relationship with their newly anointed villain, is both illogical and unproductive. More positively, however, time is almost certain to be on your side.

On the assumption that your managing director knows what he's doing, and that the ousting of your boss doesn't cripple the company's performance, emotions will cool. A sense of outrage can't be sustained indefinitely. Co-operation with the managing director will no longer imply disloyalty to their former leader. Everything will settle down.

If it turns out that the managing director has made a colossal mistake and that the success of the whole company has been jeopardised, then naturally all bets are off for all of you.

Readers say

? I always go by an old adage: if in doubt, keep quiet. If you are already seen as a traitor by the others, it's odd that they told you this; and if they are friends then you should keep their confidence. basil123

? You were told in your capacity as a friend, not a colleague. So you are under no obligation to tell your boss anything at all until the information is publicly known. Of course, if you value the career boost more than the friendship there's nothing stopping you, but it could be a bit awkward all round. lileskimo

? This doesn't ring true at all. Your colleagues think you're a schemer and a back-biting manipulator, yet your colleague who is taking a risky venture with your ex-boss has entrusted you with the biggest secret of all. She would only do that if she were sounding you out about joining them, but surely your ex-boss wouldn't want you if he thinks the same of you as everyone else seems to? Something doesn't add up.

Your loyalty is to your current employer. Your loose-tongued friend is planning to undermine the firm that provides your livelihood. Just because someone warns that they're going to attack you doesn't mean you can't defend yourself. But tread carefully. It could be a test, and your reputation is already bruised as it is. PatrickNeylan

Will future employers think I'm reckless if I take time off to travel?

I am in my mid-20s and have for three years been working for a very small media company since I graduated from university. While I don't really like the industry and often find my work environment quite unpleasant, the job also has several benefits ? particularly flexible hours (a 30-hour week spread over four or five days). I have used this to pursue my creative interests in the arts, with some moderate levels of success.

However, despite the benefits, the fact that my workplace is badly managed, isolated and that I recently had to provide maternity cover for one of my seniors makes flicking back and forth between my job and what I love a strenuous process.

I'm approaching the point where I'd like to move on. I don't exactly know what job I'd go to, though I have a few ideas, particularly in areas related to my interests. I've acquired good experience at work, done a few internships in my spare time and have been creatively active. But I've been pondering the idea of taking six months off first to give more attention to my creative projects and to travel. I have enough saved up for this not to be too horrible financially. I'm just not sure how I would explain this to a potential employer, especially in the current climate.

Taking six months off to concentrate on my art, travel and network might appear incredibly indulgent at a time when most people my age are lucky to have jobs. The alternative is I simply stay where I am until I land a new job, juggling my creative interests along the way. I just feel like a break could be quite productive for me.

Jeremy says

I assume from what you say that you're pretty free from responsibilities and able to put yourself first for the time being. If that's the case, and with one condition, I'd encourage you to follow your instinct and take a little time to travel and widen your experience.

The condition is this. You're concerned that on your return potential employers might raise an eyebrow or two at your decision and that you might find it difficult to justify. I think your concern's a real one; and that anyway, you need to have a much clearer idea of what you plan to do on your return before you set off. I don't mean anything specific; that will probably occur to you only when you become aware of a particular opportunity. I mean some sort of certainty about the general area in which you want to work.

Only when you've got that in your head should you plan your trip. Its purpose should be twofold: yes, to do those things you've also wanted to do; but also, and very importantly, to gain experience that will be seen to be of value to a potential employer. Given your enthusiasms it shouldn't be difficult to plan a trip that covers both these objectives. You won't then have to explain away your otherwise indulgent decision to leave your job; you'll have invested your own time and money into becoming a more qualified candidate for the kind of job you've always hoped for.

Readers say

? If you can afford to take a sabbatical, then do it. Far from being viewed as indulgent, future employers will often consider your decision in a positive light as long as you have something tangible to show for your time off.

My only note of caution is that it generally takes longer to find work again than people expect, so make sure your finances can stand a further three months at least ? otherwise you'll find yourself spending half your time off job-hunting. Watty145

? You are young with money in the bank. It is the perfect opportunity to travel before you get weighed down with responsibilities. I have personally taken months off at a time to travel on several occasions and never regretted it once. If you live your life as though you have to justify every decision you make before some prospective employer then you are going to miss out on a lot of interesting experiences. tchai

? It sounds to me that, rather than taking a sabbatical, you want to quit your job. If you take six months off you're extremely unlikely to either want to, or have, the job to go back to. Suggest you look for your alternative employment now rather than risk joining the great ranks of medium- to long-term unemployed. meepmeep

? Take the opportunity of a year-long break. Why do things by halves? Cellarman

For Jeremy Bullmore's advice on a work issue, send a brief email to dear.jeremy@guardian.co.uk. Please note that he is unable to answer questions of a legal nature or reply personally.

Read next week's problems on the Money blog from Monday and post your advice ? we'll run the best of it alongside Jeremy's in next Saturday's column.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/mar/12/dear-jeremy-work-advice

Insects Television industry Dimitar Berbatov Hotels St Petersburg Social networking

No comments:

Post a Comment