Thursday, May 19, 2011

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton geed up for first Spanish Grand Prix win

? Hamilton determined to win for first time at Barcelona
? Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel hints at Ferrari ambition

Lewis Hamilton, who has never won the Spanish Grand Prix, has pledged to spoil Fernando Alonso's party by doing so here on Sunday.

After the Spaniard announced that he had signed a new long-term contract with Ferrari which will tie him to the team until the end of the 2016 season, Hamilton said: "If I won here I'd be grinning from ear to ear. It would be brilliant."

Commenting on the length of Alonso's contract, the Englishman said: "It's a long time. Who can say what will happen in five years' time? But Fernando is looking towards the end of his career. I'm looking towards the middle of mine. If you want to win races the place to be in the paddock is Ferrari, McLaren or Red Bull. So he's in a good situation. He won't be going to go to Red Bull and he won't be coming here ? that's for sure. So there was nowhere else for him to go."

The world champion, Sebastian Vettel, said that Alonso's new deal would not mean the Italian team was "out of bounds" for him until 2017.

"I don't think I ever said anywhere that the fact that maybe Fernando or Felipe [Massa] or any other driver drives for Ferrari means it is impossible to go there," the German said. "As far as I know, in Formula One teams have two cars. That will probably kick off some headlines now, but I am very happy where I am."

Alonso, 29, said he was "happy and privileged" to have signed for another five years. "It was good news for me and my career to extend the contract and get an extension to 2016," the Spaniard said. "Also, as I said last year, the intention is to finish my career with Ferrari. I don't imagine a better place to race for a racing driver. I have been lucky to arrive here last year and I felt at home from day one and I have the possibility to race here until the end of 2016, so it will be seven years in Ferrari.

"I am happy and privileged and maybe in 2017 we will have another contract. I will see if I am not too old and if Ferrari still want me."

He added: "I have to say it was a very easy decision for us. We started talking one or two weeks ago about the future and both of us wanted to continue. I was happy with the team and they seemed to be happy with me as well, so we said: 'OK, we make an extension of the contract.'"

Alonso is rumoured to be the best-paid driver in Formula One, on an estimated �30m per year.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/may/19/hamilton-lewis-spanish-grand-prix

Office for National Statistics Property Boxing Poland Art Australia cricket team

No comments:

Post a Comment