Tuesday, June 28, 2011

HMRC has blanked me over tax details

Tax chaos and a poor approach to dialogue has led you to bemoan the ability of the Revenue, though help is now at hand

HMRC seems incapable of dealing with anything that is not straightforward. I would agree that I am not a straightforward case but nobody seems to have a handle on the matter. I have three sources of income, taxed as PAYE, and four when I hit 65 later this year. I have also been a self-employed consultant outside PAYE. It has ended in chaos. The only year I have had any semblance of transparency of information was 2009/10 when HMRC sent a statement of income and tax and we agreed that I had underpaid my tax, which I duly paid.

We are in chaos again in 2011/12 with a demand for �5,000 underpaid tax but no indication to which year it refers. It is the high-handed manner in which the tax personnel deal with issues that galls me, and the lack of transparency. IB, Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside

Your letter is one of many I have received complaining about HMRC and the near impossibility of getting problems sorted out. There's no question that the Revenue is in a mess and taxpayers are unhappy. You resorted to asking your MP for help but even he hasn't received a reply.

I asked the Revenue to look at your case and, soon after, you received a new tax coding, which cancelled the �5,000 underpayment and that you hope is correct ? although there was no explanation of the figures. A further letter confirmed that you had overpaid tax last year because too much tax had been taken from your Teacher's Pension. Again, you aren't confident about this response but are satisfied that your overall tax position is now correct.

You can email Margaret Dibben at your.problems@observer.co.uk or write to Margaret Dibben, Your Problems, The Observer, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU and include a telephone number. Do not enclose SAEs or original documents. The newspaper accepts no legal responsibility for advice.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jun/26/hmrc-tax-details

Energy Science fiction The Archers China Radio industry Mortgages

No comments:

Post a Comment