Sunday, June 26, 2011

Kelly Hoppen: my Saturday job

Interior designer Kelly Hoppen said working in the Harrods belts department made her do something she felt passionate about

My first Saturday job was in the clothes shop Monsoon when I was 15. I lasted three weeks, then was asked to leave. After that, I worked in the belts department at Harrods but only lasted a day. I remember having to go up to the top floor to the staff canteen. I hated corporate environments. I absolutely loathed working there.

Then I worked for Joseph in Beauchamp Place in Knightsbridge, west London, and Joe [Ettedgui] actually became a dear friend. But, I thought, this is a lot of work for very little pay. I could be earning more.

I couldn't hold down a job ? I was either fired for not turning up, or left, which was why I started my own business at 16-and-a-half. I hated being told what to do. I was arrogant. I just didn't want to work for somebody else.

I remember loathing everything. I hated conforming to working in a shop. What it did was made me realise that I could work for myself.

One of the things I remember was how unpleasant people are when they go shopping. I was quite miffed by that.

I aspired to have my own business at a young age. I knew that I could do it and I've never looked back. I have worked every year since, other than a year out when I had my daughter.

I am writing a book about business and it's all about believing that you are capable, and having confidence and enough drive and focus.

I look at my own kids ? my daughter Natasha is about to launch a food range in Selfridges, my stepdaughter Sienna [Miller] is an actor and her sister Savannah is a successful designer.

Your parents, the way you are brought up, and the values you hold, have a huge part to play.

People fail all the time but you have to move on to make space for the next success. You have to do something you're passionate about ? working in the belts department in Harrods was hardly going to rock my world.

I wanted to have my own business and that is what I did.

Kelly Hoppen's new vintage-inspired collection is on sale at Loft Living in Selfridges, London, alongside her range of accessories and soft furnishings.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jun/24/kelly-hoppen-saturday-job

The far right War crimes Australia Weir Executive pay and bonuses Entertainment

No comments:

Post a Comment