Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Portrait of the artist: Johnny Mathis, singer

'Singing is like golf. You can flounder over things for years ? then a pro sets you straight in minutes'

What got you started?

My dad was a piano player and singer, and sang to his children ? all seven of us. He made a lasting impression on me, though not on the rest of the family.

What was your big breakthrough?

Performing the song Wonderful Wonderful on the Ed Sullivan Show [in 1957]. I'd recorded the song about a year before, and almost forgotten about it. Then I went on the programme, and within a couple of weeks, I had a hit.

What's the best advice anyone ever gave you?

Very early on, a teacher told me, "Above all, be yourself." I've always found that puzzling: how are you meant to know who you are?

Does an artist need to suffer to create?

Oh gosh, I don't know. I don't write, so all of my musical abilities have been about performing other people's compositions. The only real suffering I've ever had is losing my mum and dad; they were my best friends and biggest supporters.

What advice would you give a young singer?

I don't like to give advice ? it can sound a little pompous or arrogant. But if I really wanted to, I'd tell them to study voice. A good teacher can tell you in two seconds what it'll take you a lifetime to learn. It's like golf: I've floundered for years over certain things, and then a golf pro has set me straight in minutes.

If you could send a message back to your critics, what would it be?

I'd thank them ? I've learned a lot from bad reviews. The critics used to tell me that I was awkward in my presentation; until then I'd thought my singing was all that mattered.

Is there an art form you don't relate to?

I haven't quite gotten a handle on rap music. Their voice production is pretty suspect. I worry they're doing harm to their voices.

Which other artists do you most admire?

My favourite singer is Nat King Cole; I also love Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan. And Oscar Peterson and Dizzy Gillespie are big heroes of mine.

What work of art would you most like to own?

I've grown to really admire Picasso. I did a performance once and instead of paying me money, the venue gave me a Picasso line-drawing of a matador. It's a perfect, unbroken line; over the years, I've sat in front of it trying to reproduce that line, and failing miserably.

Is there anything about your career you regret?

Not being a better musician. I didn't study theory or harmony, and it would have helped me a great deal if I had.

In short

Born: Gilmer, Texas; 1935

Career: Has had at least 85 hit singles and released 95 albums, the latest of which, Let It Be Me: Mathis in Nashville, is out now on Sony Music.

High point: "Making my new CD. I started recording when I was 19, I'm 75 now, and my new CD was nominated for a Grammy: that's pretty amazing."

Low point: "I've had laryngitis, two hip replacements, back surgery. But I still play golf six days a week."


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/feb/21/johnny-mathis-singer

West Ham United Food and drink Liberal-Conservative coalition Facebook Nuclear weapons Middle East

No comments:

Post a Comment