Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Nice little urner: Chinese antique used as doorstop is valued at �15,000

Grandson given valuable vase in exchange for carrying gardening work

An urn that auctioneers used as a doorstop at their showroom before they sold it for a few pounds has been identified as a rare relic worth up to �15,000.

Matthew Collinson, from Bradford, who inherited the urn in exchange for some gardening work, has found out that it is Chinese, dates from the 13th or 14th century, and is worth up to �15,000.

In the early 1970s, Collinson's grandfather, Hugh Lambert, a geologist and goldminer, spotted the urn at the sale room in Bradford. He bought it for a couple of pounds and later gave it to his grandson for helping him with the gardening.

Collinson, 31, who works in a secondhand shop in the city, said: "He went to an auction house to buy a painting, I think, and after the sale he spotted the urn [which] was being used as a doorstop. It just caught his eye. He didn't know what it was. He asked if he could buy it, and got it for just a couple of pounds and always kept it at his home.

"A few years ago, he gave the urn to me for helping him with his gardening. I didn't want paying, but he said I could have the urn, which I moved into my own house, when I got one. I was absolutely stunned when I was told that it was nearly 1,000 years old. I am going to sell it, and I think we will have a big family holiday."


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/26/urn-chinese-antique-bradford

Chalkboards Canada Madagascar Yorkshire Sepp Blatter Local government

No comments:

Post a Comment